Monday, July 13, 2009

What is in a Update?

Brandon and I live in a 2 bedroom/1 bath government issued apartment. I have no complaints about free housing and a roof over our heads. We live on the second floor of a three story building on Texastrabbe St. Yes, you read that correctly and it is one word. The closes thing we have to Texas on our street are the POV's(privately owned vehicles). Shipped from the States, courtesy of the Army. I can say that a Cadillac Escalade, Jeep Liberty, Ford Mustang, Chevy Tahoe look a bit out of place in Germany, but find a home under the name Texastrabbe St.

Monday was my first day at home as a stay at home wife. This is the first time in my life that I have not worked and it ok. Brandon got up at 5:15 am for PT(physical training) which starts at 6:30 on post. I decided to get up with him and begin my day at home. I made Brandon baked bacon and a smoothie for breakfast. Afterwards, I quietly sat down to get my first fix of Facebook. My virtual best friend.

Ah, Facebook. The virtual friend that is always there. I was first introduced to Facebook by my friend Kayla in January 2007. Then it happened, with a quick sign-up I was immediately connected and sucked into the world of Facebook. My first days on Facebook were just for a few minutes a day. Now, it is a different story. I have come up with a classification system for FB users. The casual, compulsive and addictive FB user. The casual signs in here and there, the compulsive is on 4-10 times a day. I definitely fall into this category along with many of my friends that are stay-at-home moms. The addictive, is one I would have to say looks at repeatively(or stalks) profiles obsessively.

Status updates. What is the point? In Urban Dictionary (www.urbandictionary.com) updates are referred too as FB Brag.
Facebook Brag- to post something on Facebook - especially in the "status update" section - that one would not otherwise publicly flaunt in order to draw the attention of one's Facebook peers.

What classifies a FB Brag to you? Think about it. As the hamster spins the wheel in my head I take it as this. I began thinking about status updates and personal meaning behind them. At one point on my news feed, five people were telling the everyone else what they were making for dinner. It is not so much sharing, but bragging with excessive adjectives. So how do I share with the FB community about my move to Germany?
Jana is moving to Germany,
Jana is living in Europe her first year of marriage.
Jana is jet setting to Germany, to begin her life in government issued housing.
Jana is moving.
Jana is moving to be with her husband.

Jana is moving to be with her husband. Life can not get any better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment