Sunday, July 5, 2009

The "Real" Story Behind Our Marriage


Brandon and I publicly tied the knot June 12th, 2009 in my hometown of Fresno, CA. We were married by my brother Loren in the front of our friends and family. Brandon flew in from Germany, where he is currently stationed, a week prior to the wedding. Most thought I was driving to SFO to pick up my fiancee, but actually I was going to the airport to pick up my husband. Lord and behold, Brandon and I were actually married February 6, 2009 by proxy.

Brandon proposed to me New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight. After the engagement we set the date to get married June 12th. In order to join Brandon in Germany, I would need to get command sponsorship. Meaning his original orders would add me as a dependent and give permission for me to join him in Germany. Command sponsorship can take anywhere from three to six months before I could join him.



Brandon began joking with me about doing a by proxy marriage. I giggled when he told me and acted as if I knew what it was. Did I? No. According to Wikipedia, a marriage by proxy is when the bride and groom are getting married separately, but are getting married to each other. How does that sound?

We began to do more research on it and weighed the pros and cons. In comparison, the pros far out weighed the cons. We found a website called www.marriagebyproxy.com and began our new virtual adventure. After filling out the paperwork and paying the proxy fees our marriage was going to take place in Montana. Today, in the United States by proxy marriages can take place in Montana, California, Colorado and Texas. Montana is the only state where both parties do not have to be present. We were told the process would take up to eight weeks or so.

I went to visit Brandon in Germany for ten days in February. After a few days there, I checked my email one evening. There was a message from our by proxy friends that read, "Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. Yost...". We were officially married February 6, 2009! I got on his orders May 23, 2009 and will arrive in Germany July 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment